Amanda Humphrey gave me an 18th month Africa applique tee a few months ago. Her intention was for us to save it for Liam but Elliott found it and had other plans. He stuffed his 3T self into this little shirt and refused to take it off. By now I’ve hidden it, but that doesn’t stop him from asking where it is. I promised that I would learn how to make one and yesterday was the day this grand event finally happened. I am a very novice sewer, about a month now, so don’t expect anything too exciting.
I didn’t have enough hands to document my process but here’s what I did:
I sifted through Calvin’s closet until I found an old dress shirt he no longer wears. I deconstructed the dress shirt and cut material for a pair of shorts and an Africa applique. I traced Africa from the front of a book and made a template for the applique. The result was a great pair of boyish, lightweight Summer shorts and an adorable top that Elliott may be wearing for the next week straight. He won’t take it off. (=
I had a little scrap of material so I threw together a little Africa shirt for Charlotte too. I’m pretty happy with my new sewing skills.